Thursday, October 25, 2012

Dubai - First Impressions NOW IMPROVED WITH PICTURES!!!

PART of Dubai...
So yesterday morning I went on with life after a week of looking at James Woods with a droopy eyelid cracking the whip silently.  First I lifted to make my body even more perfect, then off to the Corniche for a four miler.  I normally have a running partner, but he wasn't available so I took off on foot by myself for the first time.  Hardly anyone around, so no biggie.  I live in the Indian/Pakistani/Bengali quarter.  Apparently they've never seen such an Adonis of a white guy in Nike workout gear cause they all stare (by the way, never snort at them (don't ask why I did that, those who are in the zone running get a feeling of superiority and forget to censor themselves) they will run after you for all of one minute.  Hey, they were staring critically at me not in a fascinated way.  I ran backwards looked at them and laughed).

That answers that question; Arabs DO like Big Bang Theory!!!
Anyway...came back, ate and showered and got ready for my exciting day in Dubai.  The plan was to go to the outskirts, take the elevate and new train from the edge of the city that stops everywhere, and have a relaxing walk in Dubai.  As we hit the outskirts, my roomie informs me that we are going straight to the Mall of the Emirates (the one on the Discovery Channel with the indoor winter shit).  Who among my friends doesn't know that I fucking hate malls?  I HATE MALLS!!!  Dubai and Abu Dhabi are ALL MALLS ALL THE TIME!!!  So, for those of you who like to shop for expensive shit like Cartier and Louis Vuitton (I didn't even know what that was 'til yesterday) come to the UAE.
Temperature in the Winter Doucheland

So far two dreams crushed under the boot of not-so-common sense.  When we weren't in expensive malls looking for impossible things we spent the rest of the day driving.  Two things I want to do in Dubai:

1.  Go to the top of the Burj Dubai.  That's the tallest buidling in the world currently.  Yeah I'll probably wet myself in fear at the top, but I'll get good photos and I'll bring a change of panties and shorts to be safe.

2.  Surf.  The one thing that gets my motor running besides a short midwestern chick is a damn surfboard and a decent wave.  Oh and motorcycles, but that's another post, altogether.  I want to surf Dubai, take pictures surfing, sing surf songs, hang out with the Aussie surfers who are the raddest dudes on the fucking planet, and swallow seawater and get reef rash in no particular order.
More wintry weather :D
Yup, that's my Dubai bucket list.  Not a large one, but if I accomplish those, my cup runneth over.  And my bladder be full to burst. 

So we went to Dubai Creek and inlet of the sea, not a Texas crick.  Hung out there for a few minutes and decided to get drunk at one of the tons of Irish pubs at hotels, so back to Abu.

It was 8 by the time we got food and started drinking and commenting on the gals that walked haughtily through the pub to the "Jazz" lounge, a shitty disco.  Of course it was me that started the comments, but these chicks could make Robot Abe Lincoln sad ;-D.  As my roomie described one was like "a sausage crammed in a casing".  So, so true.  Yuck.  Glad I'm married.

Abu Dhabi along the Corniche
So I woke up this morning hung over (I only had 5).  It reminded me that it's ok to do socially once in a while, but I've come so far in such a short time and I intend to keep the momentum going as I rocket toward 50 (not really).  I make good money for a writer, and I'm in an exotic country.  I'll see my KT soon.  All is well in the big scheme of things.

I know I promised good pictures, and I'll post many today at some point.  Need to pick up a new cable for the camera.  Cheers.

(BTW, we are going back to Dubai this weekend to hit the Burj.  Souvenirs for many hopefully.)

No comments:

Post a Comment