Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sick and Tired

So here I sit.  Day 2.  Sick.  I was actually looking forward to getting out of the room today and going back to work just to fight the boredom (funny how that works both ways).

Aquafina tastes the same in any language:  Watery
I went to work after a restless night (again) and got my paycheck, made a few adjustments to some work and was promptly sent home for the day.  I understand why I was sent back.  I still look and feel like shit.  In tiny cubicles, that could rapidly spread.  Not good.


So here I sit again.  I snuck out and took a cab to the nearest bank branch to deposit my significant paycheck.  The customer service is wonderful and the Emirati gentleman was all smiles and even looked up my account number when I realized it wasn't in my phone.

Something stands out to me:  I always remember not to primarily use my left hand.  That's hard for me when you consider that I'm left handed.  I had to sign with my left hand, but I consciously handed the service guy the pen and paper with my right hand.  He seemed to appreciate that.  It's not cause I'm really culturally "aware" or anything.  I just know that if I do things to offend people that are helping me, I'm less likely to get perfection.  When handling a shitload of money, you do what you have to.

Activated my ATM card, and took a cab back to the room.  On the way, I went to a local store where the guy is beginning to realize I'm not going anywhere.  He is begrudgingly beginning to accept my greeting and that's a good thing.  Hard to find a local store with junk food and lip balm in it.  I need a different blanket for the room.  One that doesn't cause you to sweat even when the temp is 50 in the room.  Hopefully I'll find something cheap enough soon.  I haven't looked to be honest.

The 'green salad' at the local shwarma joint is anything but just green, but delicious
I have struck out on my own the last few days.  Not my favorite thing to do in any locale or situation, but it needed to be done, less I be at the behest of another person who can use that as a power (amazing what people will lord over you if you let them).  I need vegetables, laundry soap, coffee, fruit, and eventually a small bathroom shelf since I took the smaller room (never let me do that again).  I need to get coffee for work, as well.

Otherwise, I'm expected to become a rugby fan member and sit around on my ass watching rugby all day.  Not happening and if they think that gives them executive privilege to the car, they are in for a surprise.  The way it stands, I'm on my own after work from now on.  The clicks have been formed and I got the "either it's my way or..." implied to me today.  I bristle at people that fucking thick.  I can be type A all day long.  I'd like to be calm and relaxed, though.  I will continue to try that path until it fails.  So, as I said, I'm on my own for the foreseeable future.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but this whole thing continues to define itself in ways that I don't like.  I don't mean to complain, but I'd hoped that everyone would be working together and hanging together.  There I go thinin' again, though.

This means if I need anything; food, clothing, rides, etc, I'm on my own.  If I say, "Hey, let's go get a coffee.", I'm talking in the mirror.  So I'd better get used to it now.  Otherwise it's gonna be a long haul for the next 7 months hiding in the room and darting for table scraps at coffee shops...not gonna happen.  This evening I'm catching a cab to Spinney's for veggies and fruit and anything else I need.

Hope everyone is doin OK and getting peaceful sleep whilst I write this down.

No comments:

Post a Comment